Linderhof is in the south-west of Bavaria, Germany and the smallest of the palaces built by King Ludwig II of Bavaria. It was the only one Ludwig saw finished. Ludwig use to go there with his father on hunting trips. At first it was a very small building and nicknamed 'Koenig's haeuschen' (small king's house).
King Ludwig enlarged it and built it in 1874 in the style we see it today. King Ludwig idolized the French King Louis XIV and loved the style of Versailles. Therefore, Linderhof became a copy but in a much smaller version.
The symbol of the sun was in every decoration of the rooms. Furthermore, in copying the style of Versailles the bedroom in Linderhof is the larges and faces north. It emphasis the night-King Ludwig which was the opposite of the sun-King Ludwig XIV.
Linderhof is in the south-west of Bavaria, Germany and the smallest of the palaces built by King Ludwig II of Bavaria. It was the only one Ludwig saw finished. Ludwig used to go there with his father on hunting trips. At first it was a very small building and nicknamed 'Koenigshaeuschen' (small kings house).
King Ludwig enlarged it and built it in 1874, in the style we can see today. King Ludwig idolized the French King Louis XIV and loved the style of Versailles. Therefore, Linderhof became a copy but in a much smaller version.
The symbol of the sun was in every decoration of the rooms. Furthermore, in copying the style of Versailles the bedroom in Linderhof is the largest and facing north, it emphasis the night-king Ludwig which is the opposite of the sun king Louis XIV.
Another interesting fact, Linderhof was build in barock style because it compliments the Ettal Abbey where the 'Holy Grail' is preserved.
Linderhof has a more private atmosphere because there are only four rooms there which were really used.
The Hall of Mirror was used by King Ludwig as a living room. He used to sit and read, sometimes all night. King Ludwig used to sleep during the day and stay awake at night. The mirror gave the illusion of endlessness by reflecting the candles a thousand times.
The middle table has been inlaid with laps-lazuli, amethyst quartz and chalcedon and with the Bavarian coat of arms in glass mosaic. The carpet was made with ostrich feather, ivory candelabra with 16 branches and two mantelpieces with la pis-lazuli and gilded bronze ornaments.
An eastern and western tapestry chambers which are identical, only for the western chambers has an Aeologion (piano and harmonium in one).
PLEASE BE SO KIND AND CLICK ON ADVERTS. THANK YOU.
PLEASE BE SO KIND AND CLICK ON ADVERTS. THANK YOU.
The audience chamber which does not live up to its name because it was too small for an audience to be held there. King Ludwig used it as a study where he developed his building projects. There are two round tables with malachite tops, a present from Czarina Maria Alexandrowna to King Ludwig.
The throne baldachin was with ostrich feather (an oriental symbol of royal power).
The Dining room is located to the east and on the side are a pink and blue cabinet. They were used by the king as a robin room. The dining room is also famous for its disappearing dumbwaiter. The table was installed because the king wanted to dine alone and yet it had to be laid for four so he would think he had guests.
A Meissen porcelain centrepiece with china flowers is a masterpiece.
The bedroom was rebuilt in 1884 and not completed till two year after the king's death.
The bed is on steps in the alcove and closed off by a gilded balustrade. Glass candelabra with 108 candles and two console tables of Meissen porcelain which were the king's favourite china
The garden of Linderhof is the most beautiful creation of historic gardens.
The palace has formal gardens and is in five sections.
Toward the north it has a cascade of thirty marble steps which end into a Neptune fountain and at the top of the cascade is a Music Pavilion.
On the west side is a basin with a gilded 'Fama'. Also on the west side is a pavilion with a bust of Louis XIV and a fountain with sculpture of Venus and Adonis.
The water parterre in front of the palace is a large basin with a gild fountain group of 'Flora and puttos'. The fountain is about 25 meter high.
The eastern parterre has a wooden pavilion with a bust of Louis XIV. The 24 steps down is a fountain basin with a gilded sculpture of Amour shooting an arrow. Further sculptures of Venus and Andonis are between the fountain and palace.
In the south side terrace gardens are a 'Naiad' fountain with three basins and sculptures of water nymphs, a bust of Marie Antoinette of France and a temple with a statue of Venus.
The landscape garden has an area of 50 hectare (125 acres) and blends well in with the natural alpine surrounding.
In the park is the famous Venus Grotto. It was built to bring the first act of Wagner's 'Tannhaeuser' into reality. Ludwig loved to be rowed across the lake in his golden swan-boat. He also loved the blue grotto of Capri. Therefore 24 dynamos were installed and it is possible to illuminate the grotto in changing colours.
Another building in the park is the Hunting Hut which was inspired by Wagner for the first act of the "Valkyrie". Ludwig used to have German feasts there.
A building called Gurnemanz Hermitage where Ludwig came on Good Friday to contemplate.
Ludwig was also a great admirer of oriental architecture. The Moorish Kiosk was designed by a Berlin Architect Karl von Diebitsch for the International Exhibition in Paris 1867. Ludwig wanted to buy it but the railroad king Bethel Henry Stromberg was quicker. When Stromberg went bankrupt Ludwig bought it and had it decorated more royal.
Bottom of Form
Bottom of FormACV