Sunday, 6 May 2012

CYPRUS -- Birthplace of Aphrodites



MAP OF CYPRUS
Cyprus has not only rugged but also beautiful scenery. It is a Mediterranean country in front of Turkey's southern shore. The main population is Greek. The capital is Nicosia and is on the Mesanoria Plain between two mountain ranges. In the north is the Kyrenia Range and in the south are the Troodos Mountains which rise up to the Mount Olympus to the height of 1951m.
The climate is hot in the summer but cooler in the winter with some rain. Since it lies in the north of the Nile Delta the migrating birds do stop there on the way from Europe to Africa. The salt lakes near Larnaca are teeming with flamingos, egrets, ibises and herons from December to April. There has as many as 300 species had been seen on the island.
The island is not known as a great wildlife of animals.  The only animal which is unusual is the unique moufflon sheep. The male has huge, curled horns and will attack humans when it feels threatened.
The high Troodos Range is covered with beautiful cedar, pine and cypress woods. After the first rain in September they are also covered with small flowers.
In spite of being a divided country and not very rich; Cyprus is a prosperous country. Agriculture is their main economy. The main crops are grapes, potatoes, oranges and barley. They are rearing sheep, cattle, pigs and goats. The industry is on a small scale and produces asbestos, cement, mosaic tiles, footwear and cigarettes. Tourism is very much encouraged and increases rapidly.

TEMPLE OF APOLLO


KOURION THEATRE -- OUTSIDE THE CITY OF LIMASSOL



PRESIDENTIAL PALACE AND RESIDENCE IN  NICOSIA
HISTORY
The earliest know inhabitants were 10,000 BC. Archaeologists found a well-preserved Neolithic village of Choirokoitia and it was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO and also the tomb of the Kings. On the island is one of the oldest water wells in the world.
Since is a strategic location Cyprus was occupied by the Hittites, Assynans, Egyptians, Rashiduns, Umayyads, and Lusignans.
Cyprus had been invaded and ruled by all the great powers such as the Persians. Alexander the Great freed the island from the Persians. Greeks, Romans and Byzantines all invaded the island for a while. The Crusaders stayed and had a great influence on the island. Many centuries the Luisignan Dynasty, who were from France ruled with the help of the Knights Templar and Knights Hospitaller.
The Venetians occupied Cyprus from 1489 to 1571. In Paphos a partially moated fort was erected on the base of a medieval castle which was blown away during the invasion by the Venetians. After that it became part of the Ottoman Empire. In 1878 it was handed over to Britain.

==================================================

PLEASE BE SO KIND AND CLICK ON ADVERTS.  THANK YOU.
==================================================

In 1950 Cyprus became independent. At that time 80% of the population were Greek decedent from the first inhabitants of the island and later Greek colonists. The other 20% were Turkish Cypriots who came to the island during the Ottoman occupation. The president Archbishop Makarios shared the power between Greek and Turkish Cypriots. However, it didn't work and UN soldiers came to keep peace.
In July 1974, Turkish troops of 40,000 invaded the island in the north and forced the 200,000 Greeks to live in the south. The island was divided and the so-called Green Line was a barrier between the North and the South. It was even running through the middle of Nicosia. The Turks called the occupied area The Turkish Republic of North Cyprus. No other government in the world recognizes it.



CHOIROKOITIA -- THE NEOLITHIS VILLAGE



TROOROS MOUNTAINS


PETRA DOU ROMIOU -- THE  ROCK  OF  THE  GREEK  -- APHORODITE'S   LEGENDARY    BIRTHPLACE

HOLIDAYS IN CYPRUS
Cyprus is a real gem and a holiday there is unforgettable. For people who love sight-seeing will be more than satisfied with visiting the well-preserved Neolithic village of Choirokoitia, the tombs of the Kings. Just to mentioned two of the oldest. They have numerous buildings and museums with artefacts from such a long history.
A trip into the Troodos mountains to ancient villages up there will be something to remember for a long time in everywhere.
With being the birthplace of Aphrodite's, Cyprus must be special. You can visit the rock which the legend has it that Aphrodite was born.
Long sandy beaches begging for sunbathing and swimming in the shimmering emerald coves. Water sports and scuba diving will be a wonderful experience.
The great sunny climate invites for beautiful coastal walks.
The people are nothing but friendly, warm and welcoming. Restaurants with their mouth-watering menus will send out welcoming message you can't resist. Freshly caught fish are turned into wonderful dishes at inexpensive prices.


PAPHOS

No comments:

Post a Comment